Sparrow School is seeking a Handwork educator for grades 1-7 who is enthusiastic about Waldorf education, experienced with elementary-age children, and knowledgeable and passionate about the handwork curriculum through the grades. This is a part time position teaching 2 classes per grade per week, as well as 1 prep period per week and paid faculty meeting attendance.
About Sparrow School:
Founded in 2011, Sparrow School is a public charter school program that is guided by the core principles of a public Waldorf education. Currently with 200+ students, the classes range from grades K-7, and will continue growing into 8 grades. All of the teachers at Sparrow School are Waldorf trained or actively pursuing certification, and committed to Rudolf Steiner’s indications.
What we’re looking for in a handwork teacher:
- Experience and training with Waldorf Handwork curriculum and teaching methods
- Experience teaching in elementary school
- Classroom management that is neither permissive nor punitive, and that is based on developing the children’s intrinsic motivation
- Willingness to collaborate and be a reflective teacher and staff member
- Strong sense of self to be a model of truth, beauty, and love for the students
As a staff, including part time faculty, we work closely together to support one another and our expanding program. As a close-knit group, we honor positive communication, and respect one another’s input. We are a group of forward thinking, inspired, and committed individuals.
In addition to offering a working environment that allows artistic expression and creativity, plus the freedom to address the developmental needs of the child, Sparrow School offers a competitive salary.
San Diego, on the coast of the Pacific Ocean in Southern California, is known for its mild year-round climate, natural deep-water harbor and extensive beaches. San Diego is often referred to as “America’s Finest City”, as it’s known for its beautiful weather, pristine beaches, friendly people and a plethora of entertainment, as well as hosting many museums and lush botanical gardens and parks.
- Waldorf experience in teaching Handwork to grades 1-8
- Experience with and knowledge of Waldorf pedagogy
- Experience with elementary age children
To apply, send resume & a short email about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org