National University Academy (NUA) Sparrow Charter School is a public charter school that is guided by the core principles of a public Waldorf education.
We are seeking Waldorf trained candidates to teach math and science blocks in middle school, who have a deep love of students and of teaching math as well as a sense of purpose in bringing Waldorf education to the public realm. The school is in its seventh year and currently includes Grades TK-8th, however, the school is looking to expand into high school. The math teacher will be expected to integrate Waldorf teaching methods with the new Common Core standards, planning and implementing math practice periods and some math and science main lesson blocks periodically throughout the year. All of the teachers at Sparrow School are Waldorf trained or actively pursuing certification, and committed to Rudolf Steiner’s indications.
What we’re looking for in our math and science teachers:
- Passion, creativity and joy in teaching mathematical concepts, patterns and relationships
- Experience and training with Waldorf teaching methods as well as California Common Core State Standards in Mathematics and Next Generation Science Standards
- Experience teaching middle school
- Classroom management that is neither permissive nor punitive, but kind and firm, and that is based on developing the children’s intrinsic motivation (based on methods of Positive Discipline in the Classroom by Jane Nelson)
- Willingness to collaborate and be a reflective teacher and staff member
- Strong sense of self to be a model of truth, beauty, and love for the students
This is a part time position that would bring math and science main lessons to grades 6-8 using creativity and imagination, modeling a love of math and science. (NUA Sparrow is looking to grow into high school and this position has the potential to grow into full time in future years.) This position in the 17-18 school year would provide daily practice period instruction as well as main lesson blocks in 4-6 week increments and would be scheduled periodically through the year. Schedule, pay and timing to be determined upon hiring.
San Diego is often referred to as “America’s Finest City”, as it’s known for its beautiful weather, pristine beaches, friendly people and a plethora of entertainment, as well as hosting many museums and lush botanical gardens and parks.
As a staff, we work closely together to support one another and our expanding program. Each one of us has a voice in establishing new practices and revising old ones as we consistently monitor our progress. As a close-knit group, we honor positive communication, and respect one another’s input. We are a group of forward thinking, inspired, and determined individuals.
- Waldorf certified or actively pursuing Waldorf certification
- California Single Subject Math credential preferred but not required
To apply, send biography and resume to Sarah at email@example.com